What to Bring to the Exam
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport)
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. non-photo ID/driver's license (some states still have them)
b. birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. social security card
d. library card
e. utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
3. Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID,
minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a
4. Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal
Registration Number (FRN); We are required by the FCC to submit
either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application
form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then
you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you
have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the
application. You can set up an FRN with the FCC by going to the
5. If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio
license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the
license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website,
or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful
Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous
exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC,
the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s)
will not be returned.
6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen (black). We do have several on
hand for exam takers to use if they choose.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free
of notes and formulas. Cell phones may not be used as calculators and are not
allowed in the exam room. We do have several basic calculators to use if you
do not bring one.
8. Bring a check, a money order or cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
The current ARRL VEC exam rate is $15.00.